Yam is a delicious Nigerian food staple. On our menu is Yam Balls; A tasty and easy snack that will make you drool at the sight and taste of it. It's a meal you can pair with Stew, Egg sauce or any soup of your choice. Yam balls are not new to the clique; it is very popular in Ghana and other parts of Africa too. This recipe will make you quit eating yam the same outdated way, and try something new. This titbit can be a refreshing appetizer for your parties and family picnic. It can also pass for light dinner. Egg and breadcrumbs are some of the ingredients that make yam balls healthy, crispy and crunchy.
Having known the secret to a perfect and crunchy yam ball, join us at tiger kitchen to create this meal.
For the yam
A small tuber of Yam
Salt to taste
For the Filling
Tiger Garlic Powder
Tiger Curry Powder
Larsor Beef Seasoning
Tiger Chilli Pepper Powder
- Peel the yam and cut into small chunks, wash, add salt and cook until soft.
- Once the yam is soft, drain water and use a wooden spatula to mash until smooth. You can also pound in mortar, the traditional way till stretchy.
- In a hot shallow pan, add Butter, Spring Onion, Minced beef, Larsor Beef seasoning, Tiger Chilli Pepper Powder, Tiger Garlic, Curry and Thyme. Fry on low heat till the beef is cooked. Your filling is ready.
- Scoop a tablespoon of the mashed yam, flatten and add your filling. Mould into sizeable balls. Overfilling will make the yam balls burst open.
- Dip the yam balls into sieved flour, then transfer to the bowl of whisked egg white, and finally coat with bread crumbs.
- Place a frying pan on medium-high heat. Add vegetable oil and heat until hot.
- Drop the yam balls into the oil and fry until golden brown. Enjoy hot.
Now that you have learnt something new, would you replicate this recipe anytime soon? Let us know in the comment section.
Thank you for stopping by.